This class will give students a chance to become competent with woodworking tools and the building process. Discussions of joinery techniques and woodworking methods will enable students to get lots of practical hands-on experience. Much of the course will be dedicated to the use of hand held power tools and stationary shop tools such as the table saw, planer, jointer, and mortising machine, with an emphasis on safe tool use. Participants will complete and bring home an elegant, butternut end table with a drawer.
Course start time: Sunday, 5pm
Course end time: Friday, 5pm
"The sequence was well thought out, and the amount of new material presented each day was perfect. The instructor's patience and dedication to us was fantastic."
- Competency Level: Beginner
- AIA credits: 35 -- Qualifies for HSW requirements.
Through building a one-drawer, shaker-style end table we will learn.
- Safe, proper, and accurate use of stationary and hand tools
- Control of processes leading to an excellent product
- About wood as a material
- Accurate layout
- Wood joinery- gluing, mortise and tenons, drawer joinery
- Sanding, planning, scraping and finishing
- Setting up shop
- Woodworking topics of your choosing
We will start class at 8:30 each morning, take an hour for lunch when folks are ready, and work until 5:00pm. Optional evening sessions will run from 7pm to ???. These sessions give us time to work on our tables or to cover a specific technique or topic. The following schedule of topics for each day is quite flexible and we will adjust as we go.
Sunday Welcome and orientation to Yestermorrow
- Welcome dinner
- Project and woodshop introduction
Monday Introduction and Control of Processes
- Wood as a material, wood selection and cut list
- Table saw and chop saw demonstration
- Jointer and planer demonstration
- Glues and Gluing
Tuesday Wood joinery
- Mortise and tenons demonstration
- Router and router table
Wednesday Cutting tapered legs demonstration
- Sanding, planning and scraping
Thursday Drawer construction and fitting
- Drawer joinery demonstration
Friday Wood finishing
- Class dinner and graduation